Unity Church was formed in 1986 by a merger of Prospect Park Christian Reformed Church and Second Christian Reformed Church. Both churches were organized in the late 1800’s, Second in Paterson and Prospect Park here in the borough. In the late 1920’s Second moved to Unity’s present location on North 11th Street in order to better minister to its members who had moved from Paterson’s North 1st Street area neighborhoods.
After each church experienced a decline in membership in the 1970’s and early 1980’s, a merger was proposed in the mid 1980’s so that ministries could be combined, strengthened and better serve the Prospect Park community.
On January 5, 1986 both churches worshiped together for the first time as Unity Christian Reformed Church.
Since that date, Unity has been pastored by Rev. Gordon Negen, Rev. Paul De Vries, Rev. Joe Vugteveen, Rev. Clair Vander Neut, Rev. Brian Bolkema and John Dyksen. We are thankful that after a three year search, Prospect Park resident AJ Santino begins his work as our new full time pastor.
Continuing the tradition of its former churches, Unity continues to minister and reach out with the good news of the Gospel to the Prospect Park community. Although much has changed around us since the late 1800’s the message of God’s love for all remains unchanged.
“We sincerely pray that we may become more and more a power for good in this vicinity and community!” Rev. J. Holwerda, 1938